Sunday, February 27, 2011

Delhi Belly, What Fun!!

This past week we had the opportunity to experience two new experiences.  First I started the week of with a case of Delhi Belly.  I still do not know what caused this fun experience but with  three available toilets in our apartment I got to play musical chairs.  Running to one toilet all the time in one day gets boring so I jazzed it up a bid by mixing my choice in toilets. 

There was also some rioting and violence during the early part of the week.  They call it "Bandh" over here, it basically means rioting/striking.  It was far from where we live but we did feel the effects from it.  Teresa was advised not to go into the office on Tuesday as no one else would have been there.  Wednesday I had to go do some shopping as we had run out of mostly fresh vegetables and some other essential food items.  That turned out not to be that easy.  The big malls were still closed because of the striking and we finally found one of the smaller stores open, well sort off.  The security roll doors were down but they open them up just enough for you to crawl through under the gates.  The fun part of it was that I was the only customer in the store so there was nobody jumping the line trying to pay before I can.  We are not really sure what they went on about and caused them to do all the damage they did but lets hope it does not happen too often.

Saturday evening we were invited by friends for a farewell party.  It is a couple that lives in the same community we do and her husband got a good work opportunity back home and he decided to take his chance at this new job.  We wish him all the best of luck in his new job.

We were stuck at home the whole weekend, our driver had the weekend off and no substitute driver was arranged.  Except for our Saturday farewell party we were home the whole time.  I did make us a roast chicken/pigeon/swallow, it was by far the smallest chicken I have ever seen!!  We bought it at the Novotel a couple of weeks ago.  After thawing it out and taking it out of the vacuum packing I found that our small chicken/bird had a bunch of extra wing tips.  Not sure if they thought that I could use it to make chicken stock or if they only wanted to up the weight for us to pay more for it.  Since I did not expect the extras I did not plan to make chicken stock and chose just to chuck them away.  It was all the uneatable parts of the wing so I could not even make some buffalo wings.  I will make sure to let them know not to stuff the chicken with their offcuts the next time, if there is a next time.

I took a short video clip the other day at an intersection on the way to pick up Teresa from the office, you will get an idea at how well the traffic is organised over here.  The pictures is just random pictures I took while driving back from the Spar on Friday afternoon.

The video clip and pictures was taken with my cheap cellphone and is not the best of quality.



One of the local restaurants, there are two locations and the other one looks better than this one.

Just some sidewalk activity.

Just some of the normal traffic.

Just another sidewalk.

It looks like a house, not sure.

These little supermarkets are all over the place but we don't like shopping there.

As you can see, they do have helmets in India, to protect their motorcycles in case of a crash.

More of the organised traffic.

Still at the one intersection.


Some bus driver deciding to make his way through and yes, the white hat in front of the bus is a traffic cop.  Not sure what he was doing there because he was not regulating the traffic!

We did eventually got through.

You can buy anything in India, even a Porsche!